Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Failure: An Option

When I was in elementary school- Lenape, 5 grade- we had a grade-wide optional spelling bee. It was  volunteer-only due to the fact that it revolved around getting up and speaking in front of the rest of the grade. As I recall, roughly thirty kids signed up, meaning that they would be "performing" in front of about seventy kids.

I was actually pretty excited to participate. I was a very self-conscious child, to the point where I was actually a bit self-centered in most social situations. I thought that I could impress my peers with my assuredly daunting spelling skills. In reality, I was not a fantastic speller, and I had never been. In first grade, I had a sheet with a handful of words I used a lot and had trouble spelling to help me write in class. Words like "shadow" and "dragon" made appearances on the list, among many others.

During the spelling bee itself, I actually did very well. It started with simple words-three to five letters long- that were easy to spell. As the bee started, I started getting nervous. Speaking in front of about seventy people, even in such a friendly setting, was not an easy thing for me to do. But as the bee went on, I began to regain my former confidence. I made it past round after round, managing to either luck out and receive very easy words or blindly guessing my way through them. I made it into the top ten, and that was when I started getting overconfident.

After three more kids got eliminated, I got the word "lightning." I thought I had it. Gosh darnit, I knew I had it! With the confidence of the most swelled puffer fish, I began "Lightning, L-I-T-E-N-I-N-G, lightning." And then I froze. I fudged it. I fudged it and basically a thousand people saw. It felt like the blood rushed out and into my head, all at once. I would have rued my hubris, had I known tat I possessed it. I had to make the walk out of the lineup and into the crowd, head hung, assuming that every single person in the room was watching me. Again, I placed my own value on the pillar raised through others eyes. The spelling be was just another night with ninjas, a small thread in the tapestry of my self-image, hung from the rafters in an attempt to shut out the light of my own ideals.


Spelling Bees

6 comments:

  1. Joey, you are funny and sarcastic and it works! I actually read it in your voice, which is rather comical. I love your word choice, especially "rued", it's great. I enjoyed the way you ended it and your initial thoughts while misspelling lightening. Overall, it was very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That means a lot. When I was younger, I had a great deal of trouble insertin my own voice into my writing, insofar as I, on multiple occasions, opted to imitate the style of various authors during my "career."

      Delete
  2. Joey!! I loved it especially the "swelled puffer fish" part. I like that you connected it to your other blog. I love that even though it seemed like the end of the world at that time, you can laugh about it now and share it with others. Hubris definitely isn't one of your problems anymore and lightning is no longer a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet words Essence. I have always tried to limit my hubris with unconfidence, but sadly that usually results in a heavily polarized expression of both insistent cynicism and social confusion.

      Delete
  3. This really funny and made me smile. You did a great job at expressing your sarcastic voice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie. Anything to make you smile.

      Delete