Monday, December 30, 2013

Night of the Ninjas

When I was in first grade, I "read" the book Night of the Ninjas, by Mary Pope Osborne. I use quotation because I did not, in fact, read the book (Though by the next summer I had.)  I made a show of scanning the pages of the book for about a month, making sure that someone was always around to watch me do it. I think this must have been the most childish action of my entire life.
I wanted other people to think that I could read well so desperately that I was willing to waste an enormous amount of time faking it. In hindsight I recognize the irony of the situation.  I could have spent all that time working on my ability to read, which at that point was below average but not unrecoverable. I had, on several occasions, claimed that I would never be able to read. I truly believed that I could and would go through my life without every being able to read fluently or fluidly.
I so enjoyed the attention and praise I received in recognition of my "ability" that I never actually came clean to my parents. Though I am sure that they have forgotten about the book altogether, It stands out in my memory because I deplore the little person who cared so much about others' opinions.

4 comments:

  1. Joey, first off, this series changed my life. Your blog is great, you have strong vocabulary and the voice, irony and sarcasm throughout made me laugh. I would work on the conclusion and discuss the impact of this book series more. Other than that, I really liked it, you're a funny one J Smoov.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. I never actually read the series in order, as much as I jumped from one random installment to another. I will take your comments into account when writing my next blog.

      Delete
  2. Great job Joey. I also loved this series and somewhere in my house there is a very large pile of them. You have a really witty voice in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie. I wonder if somewhere, deep beneath the surface of the literary world in its grimy depths, just maybe, there is a single long shelf with all of the books in the series in order.

      Delete